- by Jacob Coakley
Berkeley Rep’s School of Theatre has announced their winter school curriculum, with 39 classes on tap for everyone from kids (pre-school and up) to adults. The winter session begins at Berkeley Rep on Jan. 7 and on Jan. 6 the school will host an open house Sunday Sampler to let prospective students check out the classes on tap.
CAUSE SOME WINTER TROUBLE AT BERKELEY REP’S SCHOOL OF THEATRE
Nonprofit’s education arm welcomes students of all ages for a variety of theatre classes
NOVEMBER 19, 2012 – Amidst a holiday flurry of world-premiere productions by Mary Zimmerman and Dan LeFranc, and in anticipation of a return engagement of the hit production of The Wild Bride, Berkeley Rep’s School of Theatre encourages students of all ages and skill levels to polish their performance skills with its winter curriculum. Under the guidance of Bay Area arts professionals, the School has 39 exciting classes on offer this season – and everyone, from beginners to experienced performers, can check out the School’s courses at a free Sunday Sampler that starts at 1:00 PM on January 6.
“We’re thrilled to usher in 2013 with expanded programming that reflects our students’ broad-ranging interests and skill levels,” remarks Rachel Fink, director of the School of Theatre. “Children can explore the world of Harry Potter, middle-school youth will love delving into the perennial favorite The Pied Piper, and our teenaged students will dig deep into Berkeley Rep’s world-premiere play Troublemaker, or the Freakin Kick-A Adventures of Bradley Boatright. Adults interested in playwriting can investigate adaptation with Berkeley Rep’s resident dramaturg Madeleine Oldham, and for those who crave more active performance, we’re adding Feldenkrais Method and contact improv to our movement offerings. Why not try something new as one of your 2013 resolutions?”
The 10-week winter session, which begins on January 7, features the following activities:
· Classes for kids (preschool through grade 6) include Circus Skills, Fairy Tales & Adventures, Performance Workshop: Potter Plays, Rock Opera for Peace, Spy Adventure: Espionage 101, and Superheroes.
· Classes for middle-schoolers (grades 6 through 9) include Improvisation and a choice of performance workshops – based on either The Pied Piper or a selection of musical theatre hits – as well as private voice lessons.
· Classes for teens (grades 9-12) include Acting Violence: Rapier, Dagger, and Quarterstaff; Audition Lab: Prepare for College and High School Auditions; Creating Résumés and Demystifying the Interview Process; Improvisation; On-Camera Acting; and Actor vs. Director: Who’s the Troublemaker? Teens can arrange private voice lessons or one-on-one audition coaching too.
· Performance classes for adults include Acting (beginning through advanced), Acting Shakespeare, and Audition Technique for the Stage, as well as both On-Camera and Voice-over Acting. The session also includes Improvisation (beginning and intermediate), Improv for Business Professionals, Improvisation Performance Lab, and Your Brain on Improv.
· Movement and physical theatre classes for adults include Acting Violence: Rapier and Dagger; Alexander Technique; Contact Improv (Fundamentals and Flight School); Feldenkrais Method; Physical Characterization (Intermediate/Advanced); and Physical Comedy.
· Other classes for adults include Adaptation, Directing: Classical Theatre, Linklater Voice, Playwriting, and Say What You Mean: Voice in the Professional World. One-on-one audition coaching and private voice lessons are available as well.
In addition to theatre training for individuals, the Berkeley Rep School of Theatre is committed to working with local schools and community members to reinforce arts education as a community value and an integral part of the cultural fabric. By providing access and opportunities for participation in the arts, Berkeley Rep uses theatre as a means to challenge, thrill, and galvanize what is best in the human spirit. Major support for the School of Theatre’s education programs is provided by JPMorgan Chase and Target Corporation.